John 10:11-18 The Good Shepherd and Hearing His Voice
John 10:11-18
Taking time to hear God's voice does not come naturally in this day and age. We constantly move from task to task, completing checkboxes and to-do lists. When I do encounter time to breathe, often which comes unscheduled, it shocks my system and I have fear of missing out, taking advantage of the rare moments of free time. I feel disheartened, disappointed when I end up alone. I must remind myself that God is waiting for me, particularly in those moments. The silence seems foreign, but it is this opportunity to come closer to my creator, in prayer and revelation.
In this generation, I am so quickly distracted by worldly anxiety. When in times of distress, I must rapidly reorient myself to physically getting away from triggers. I am a sheep who in an instant is so lost and to hear God's voice, I need to find resources to guide me. Most often it is pressing "play" on Hallow, to listen to Father Mike, or Jeff Cavins. Or the app Creedo where I can listen to readings of Papal encyclicals, or the works of Doctors of the Church. Both of these I am blessed to even be able to press "slow" speed, to really take it all in. Conversations with fellow Moms at one of my Catholic Mom's church group also help ground me. As anyone who has listened to Bible in a Year, "what a gift"!
Hearing God's voice in the silence, through time of prayer, is not always guaranteed however. And as a mother, it is often I who am called to shepherd, rather than be a sheep. Shepherds are described at the time of Christ's birth as gritty, hands-on, requiring constant vigilance. Similarly, we as mothers must be responsible for our children, both the youngest as well as those in adulthood and beyond. Once a mother forever a mother. It is an intimate job where we know each of our children on a personal level like no one else ever will. With this it is not always glamor and ease. Just as we shepherd our children, we are sheep of the Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ, and must strive to imitate Him at all times. In the Imitation of Christ, we are taught to hear the Shepherd’s voice above all the worldly noise, and place all trust in Him.
Comments
Post a Comment